Monday, May 3, 2010

What have we learnt from Norway so far …


I seem to have been fairly lazy with updating this blog while away, though the summery feeling of perpetual jetlag in Bergen has inspired me to write a ranty reflective post. The best kind of course.

* After months of (admittedly unusual) snow coverage I absolutely cannot stand the sight of it. This phobia may have been prevented if Bergen would clear its footpaths of ice and snow, ever. Of course they do not, and I spent said months with my eyes trained towards the ground – a fact I only realised when it finally cleared a little and I noticed buildings above eye level for the first time – stepping in strange flat-footed ways in an attempt to maintain traction, and almost twisting ankles on layers of lumpy ice and snow. I also think the onslaught of whiteness took about 10 years off the life of my eyes, with the (blissful) prevalence of green and brown now such a relief on my vision.

DSCF4959

* The amount of daylight never seems to be the same from one day to the next, all year long so far. While the sun set around 3pm when I first arrived, within a few weeks it had already moved on to 4 or 5pm, continuing for months until the latest record of 11.30pm. In fact when I looked out the window last night around midnight it still was not completely dark, with a bluish glow around the mountains. Apparently this is “normal” and I expect that things will only continue. We’re already up to a 9 hour difference between daylight hours between January and May … in my universe there is only a 3ish hour difference between Winter and Summer daylight hours. Upon asking a local if the change in daylight makes Norwegians a little crazy – now suffering some kind of circadian rhythm crash as I have already – he had no idea what I was talking about .. how is that a problem? WE LOVE THE LIGHT! Which brings me to my next point …

DSCF2599

* Norwegians and their heads in the sand. It seems to be an increasingly common impression of mine that Norway is perfect, and that’s the story they’re sticking with. Whatever they have decided is their way of doing things is THE way of doing things, and all must turn to them in awe and admiration. We may try to emulate their greatness, but we may not quite get there unless we follow Norway’s lead to the T. If you question them on a *potential* flaw in their way of doing things, it is met almost with confusion … no of course it is not a problem. This is Norway. There are no problems. Now let’s ski.

DSCF4920

* Well things are not all negative lessons here. For instance I have learned that I am weak and unfit, after being overtaken by singing toddlers and jogging elderly men on what I would say are demanding hikes. Rather than sob into my Duty Free chocolate over this fact, I instead feel more inspired to get fit, and have been doing regular hikes, yoga and spinning in my time here.
 DSCF0408

 
* I also have continued my 12 Step Programme in trusting humanity again, having met many great and interesting people along the way, and have done so much socialising that it actually tires me out. People are very outgoing and excited to try new things and persevere with them. I’ve been inspired to get back into old interests and start up new ones. Well I guess all this applies to “exchange student” types of people, considering that the set-up here has made it impossible to meet locals, but whatever works.

DSCF3937

* I appreciate that Norway does not have the rapidly-sprawling urban development monstrosities that plague Australian cities. The suburbs here seem to fit in with the natural surroundings – maybe because they have no choice – and do not seem overcrowded. The area is definitely very beautiful, with mountains, fjords, islands, ocean. It’s just a shame that they cannot organise public transport efficiently enough for us poor car-less visitors to see it all.

DSCF3832


* So far … I think Norway goes into the “nice place to have a family” basket, along with Australia. There are probably good job opportunities, plentiful social services, nice houses, safe surroundings, beautiful nature … but still not where I would spend extended periods of time at this stage of life. I would come back again for travel – when rich – or perhaps if some excellent opportunity arose (I can be bought after all), but apart from that I find so many other places so much more lively and dynamic. I feel a little trapped in Norway, and can’t see the great possibilities that could be had in life, which I see when I visit other parts of Europe.

laura16

Well I still have just under two months left, during which time I will have my exams, which I hope will not be particularly demanding, and then some time to socialise, explore and travel. I had hoped to do a trip around other parts of Norway but the insanely high prices of every step of the way put me off until I have made my fortune. I will see what cheap options I can concoct. Still no word on whether I will be in the Czech Republic next semester, but hopefully that will work out and I will have a blog full of all new and different rants about cultural idiosyncrasies.


DSCF4888

No comments:

Post a Comment