Friday, April 17, 2009

International Girl Guide Camp, January 2000

*My travel friends on the beach at Mooloolaba *The tent - I would not recommend staying in a stuffy tent in the middle of summer in Brisbane, for the record *Travel friends walking around Camp *Me at Dreamworld

Seeing as I have afforded myself a day of sleep and laziness, I thought I should delve into some more travel stories. I would write about another age-12 adventure - the week-long International Girl Guide Camp in Brisbane... but I actually can't remember too many details, thanks to a lack of proper diary-keeping skills, however I will try to piece together what I can. It was January 2000. They refused to let us fly to Brisbane because the Girl Guide Leaders, in their wisdom, didn't like the possibility of all their sweet little girls crashing and burning when all the planes fell out of the sky Y2K-style. Nevermind that we were leaving on January 2nd. Don't even get me started on the debate that happened with them in the lead-up. Basically we were all put on overnight coaches up to Brisbane. Not exactly the most pleasant journey that I have undertaken. I seem to recall being miffed by all the other fresh-faced arrivees from Melbourne, Perth... even Sydney... who laughed at our being forced to get the bus. We were set up in tent groups. I was the only representative from my city, let alone group, on my side of the massive series of fields that held all the participants. Perhaps that solidified my preference for solo-travelling, as I thought I got far more out of the experience than the girls from my group who were all put together. As for daily activities... I really have no idea what we were doing. I recall a trip to Dreamworld, an overnight trip to Mooloolaba and sleeping under the shark tank in the Aquarium, various activities such as abseiling, being driven around on motorbikes, and no doubt participating in Girl Guide-esque ritualistic songs and dances. I seem to recall being herded into huge tents for our daily meals, and that by and large the food was awful. Consequently I barely ate anything, but still spent all day out and about. As a result I returned almost unrecognisably skinny after just a week. I ended up making lots of nice friends and added to my penpal collection. It's a shame I can't find any of them on facebook, I always enjoy seeing what people look like later on. I wish I could remember more about it. A few photos will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment